Brainerd Academy, Haddam, Connecticut:
At 133 Gunger Hill Road is an imposing building made of “Haddam Granite” and currently used as Granite Lodge No. 116 A.F. & A.M. (Freemasons). On this site once stood the Middlesex County Court House. That was until 1839, when John and Nehemiah Brainerd built a three-story Greek Revival hall and founded Brainerd Academy, a preparatory school for boys and girls. The building later served as Haddam’s Town Hall but burnt down in 1929. As a result, the third floor was removed and an eastward portico was installed.