Union Station, New Haven, Connecticut:
New Haven’s main passenger railroad station was completed in 1920. The Georgian-style building was designed by noted architect Cass Gilbert on behalf of New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad. It’s the third major passenger rail station to serve New Haven. The first Union Station opened in 1848 and stood on Chapel Street, east of downtown. The second Union Station was constructed in 1874, in the Second French Empire style, on the site of the current Union Station. After World War II the New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad fell into decline. Union Station was shuttered in 1972, leaving only the section under the tracks open to passengers.The station was nearly demolished before the Northeast Corridor Improvement Project led to a full renovation in 1985.