Originally called Rippowam by the Siwanoy Native Americans, Stamford was colonized by English settlers in 1640. Chief Ponus of the Siwanoy tribe sold land to Captain Nathaniel Turner of the New Haven Colony for coats, furs, hatchets and wares. The village of Ponus then became the Town of Stamford (named after the town of Stamford, Lincolnshire, England. In the late 19th century wealthy New Yorkers began to build summer homes on in Stamford. Many new residents moved in permanently and commuted by train to Manhattan. Stamford officially became a city in 1893.
View on Instagram: https://instagr.am/p/Cl7AXdLPemU/