Cheshire Correctional Institution, Cheshire, Connecticut:
The Cheshire Reformatory was established by the Connecticut General Assembly in 1909 and opened in 1913 after three years of construction by inmates from the State Prison in Wethersfield. The grounds consist of four inmate housing units situated on 25 acres. The cells of the north block galleys were reportedly purchased from Sing Sing prison in New York and brought to Connecticut by barge. It was first designed as a reformatory for male offenders, ages 16 to 24, with the intention of separating these offenders from the adult prison population. In 1956, a major addition was built. Then in 1968, the facility was merged administratively with the newly created Department of Correction. In 1982, the prison was designated for adult males, the galleys closed and the new North and South Blocks were opened in 1983 and the commissary housing unit opened in 1988.
Now named Cheshire Correctional Institution, it confines long term, adult sentenced offenders and operates specialized housing units, including protective custody and restrictive housing. The facility emphasizes rewards for deserving inmates via opportunities for bettering themselves by learning a trade, educational classes, addiction services and religious programming. Cheshire Correctional Institution currently houses about 1,300 inmates, including about 60 pre-trial inmates.
View on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/CLrEUbUFDG5/