Charles Fales House, Meriden, Connecticut:
This Victorian era monstrosity was first built around 1887. It was the mansion estate of locally known shoe manufacturer, Charles Henry Fales. He was one of New England’s pioneers of modern day footwear and an avid supporter of Meriden’s Universalist Church. However, Fales suffered paralytic shock and passed away in 1899. His wife sold the house which was eventually renovated in 1924. It was turned into a multi-unit dwelling. Today, the property serves as a regional headquarters for the Polish Legion of American Veterans.