“1636 – Newington valley used by Wethersfield settlers as a source for pipe staves, building materials and pasture lands. Pipestave Swamp, Cow Plain and West Farms were early names for the area.
1671 – Land first divided among 76 Wethersfield householders. (The Mile-in-Breadth).
1677 – Permanent settlement in Newington began with the establishment of a sawmill at Mill Pond Falls.
1721 – Town legally named Newington (New Meadow Town) by the General Assembly of Connecticut.
1754 – Permanent boundaries of Newington established.
1871 – Newington incorporated on July 10, 1871.
1966 – Town Manager-Council form of government introduced.
1971 – Newington Centennial Anniversary observed:
The Connecticut Historical Commission
The Newington Centennial Commission