Hartford Electric Light Company, Hartford, Connecticut:
The Hartford Electric Light Company began operations with a steam-powered electrical generating plant at 266 Pearl Street on April 7, 1883. Led by its President, Austin Cornelius Dunham, the company started by serving six customers with twenty-one arc lamps. By the end of September 1888, a HELCO arc lamp had replaced the city’s last gas streetlight. HELCO made Hartford the first city in America with an all-electric street lighting system. Eventually, HELCO built a five-story art deco headquarters on the premises. Today, the property is home to the Metropolitan Apartments.