In the Woodmont section of Milford, the estate of theater magnate Sylvester Z. Poli (1858-1937) was built in 1914. It was named for his wife Rosa Leverone (1869-1960). The mansion’s architecture was inspired by Nyala Farm in Westport. Sylvester Poli came to America from Italy as a gifted sculptor of plaster and wax figures. He went on to create a show business empire with over thirty vaudeville theaters in the northeastern United States. At one time, Poli the most successful cinema magnates in the world. Aside from this Mediterranean-styled mansion, Poli had ten cottages constructed on the estate for his ten grandchildren. Upon Poli’s death, the properties were left to his wife and five children.