Tuttle House, Naugatuck, Connecticut:
In 1858, John Howard Whittemore formed a company with Bronson B. Tuttle to produce malleable iron hardware, a company that was eventually known as Naugatuck Malleable Iron. Tuttle’s brick house, unlike that of his partner Whittemore, still stands today in Naugatuck Center at the north end of Church Street. Built from 1879 to 1881, the residence is made of brick and brownstone.
It was designed by Robert Wakeman Hill of Waterbury. The home is of the Queen Anne style and elaborated with Gothic elements. The gable ends and tower dormers are decorated with a quarter sunburst design. There is quatre-foil-pierced terra-cotta cresting along the roof line. The original wraparound porch was later removed.
The house remained in the Tuttle family until 1935, when it was given to the Borough of Naugatuck. The house has served as a school, then later the offices of the Naugatuck Board of Education and coming soon as the Naugatuck History Museum. Now the building is used as the home of Naugatuck Historical Society.
See more on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CKSBZ-vjzT2/