East Haven, Connecticut:
“This area, purchased by the Reverend John Davenport and Theophilus Eaton in 1638, was later known as East Farms. It was obtained from Indian sachems Momaugin and Mantowese. In 1639 Thomas Gregson, the first landowner, purchased Solitary Cove, later called Morris Cove. The first Connecticut ironworks was located in 1655 by Lake Saltonstall, formerly named Lonotononket, then Furnace Pond. East Farms became known as Iron Works Village, the third industry in the New England colonies.”
“Jacob Hemingway, the original Yale student, served as the first pastor (1704-1754) of the Congregational Church. In 1774 the Old Stone Church was erected. Its first minister was Nicholas Street. This area was invaded in 1779 by British General William Tryon. During the Revolutionary War, Lafayette encamped on the Green, revisiting it in 1824. In 1881 Fair Haven, Granniss Corners, and Morris Cove were ceded to New Haven. The Roosevelt Turkey Oak, a gift from President Theodore Roosevelt, was planted on the Green in 1908. The initial town meeting (1785) named Isaac Chidsey First Selectman. The town became a city during the 1970’s under Mayor Francis W. Messina.