Bryan-Andrew House, Orange, Connecticut:
Believed to be the oldest dwelling in Orange, the Bryan-Andrew House was built around 1740. This aesthetically pleasing saltbox is highlighted by its pristine original features and modified colonial style. The house was built by the Bryan family, who arrived in the Milford area when it was first settled in 1639. Richard Bryan, a shipping entrepreneur, acquired land from the native Paugaussett tribe in the mid-1600s. Several hundred acres became known as Bryan’s Farms, an area that later became a part of the Town of Orange. Richard Bryan’s grandson, Nathan, built this home for himself and his new bride, Elizabeth Whitman around 1740.
When Nathan died in 1766, he left the home to his wife and son, who eventually sold it to William Andrew. In 1903, the Andrew home became property of Fairlea Farms, a dairy enterprise, and the company used the building to house several of its employees. 30 years later, developers subdivided the farm and the home began a transition through several owners, the last being Kate Emerson, who after 33 years, moved out of the house in 2000. Town of Orange purchase the property in the year 2000 for $149,000. In 2016, the Orange Historical Society opened the Bryan-Andrew House as a house museum.
View on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CLfVC0pF7Ul/